Sunday, 24th April 2022
DOVEDALE AND ILAM
10 miles 5 hrs
Start Time: 10:00am
Grid Ref: SK135498.
From Newcastle or Stoke, take the A523/A52 towards Ilam. For the A52, turn left onto Ilam Moor Lane towards Ilam and remain on this lane until you reach the tiny hamlet of Blore. Remain on Ilammoor Lane and turn left towards Ilam. The free Blore Pasture car park can be found about 200m on the right hand side over looking the valley. If you reach the village of Ilam you have gone too far. Closest postcode DE6 2BS.
This route goes along the delightful Dovedale to the famous Stepping Stones where we will have a coffee break. We will then continue past the spectacular limestone features which the valley renowned before stopping for lunch by the river in the pretty hamlet of Milldale. Milldale also has free toilets and a takeaway cafe.
After lunch, we have a brief climb out of Dovedale and head across open fields and lanes to Ilam. In Ilam, there is not to be missed opportunity for a visit to the National Trust cafe at Ilam Hall.
This walk does not ascend or descend Bunster Hill or Thorpe Cloud although there are some inclines and undulations. Lunch required.
Walk leader: Helen S 07906 014099
Start Point Map
Points to Remember:
1. Please call the walk leader before the walk in case any
details have changed.
2. Make sure that you are suitably dressed for the weather.
Remember that some walks are on exposed high land and the weather
can be cold and wet. Denim jeans are not suitable for high-level
3. Dogs are welcome but only with the prior agreement of the
4. If the walk leader decides to shorten the walk then that
decision is final and is not open to negotiation. The leader will
only do this when there is a good reason for doing so.
5. Even if a walk does not state packed lunch, it is always
advisable to bring something to eat and drink.
6. If transport is shared, please provide the driver with a
share of the fuel costs.
7. Non RA members are welcome to join us for 3 walks before
being asked to join the RA. There are no exceptions to this.
8. Regrettably, due to the nature of the Sunday programme, we are
unable to accept children on our these walks.
9. Children are welcome on Family Friendly walks.
10. Web site address: www.staffs-walkers.org.uk
11. You are responsible for your own safety at all times.
Click here to return to Staffordshire Walkers
For corrections and updates to this site please email
This site was last updated on 14 February 2017