Sunday, 31st March 2019
10 miles 6 hrs
Start Time: 10:00am
Grid Ref: SJ503530.
Nearest postcode is SY14 8NU. Walk starts from the Bickerton Hill carpark. From Bickerton church take Goldford Lane. Turn right just by a small pond and take the rutted dirt track which leads to the carpark
The walk mainly follows the Sandstone trail along the ancient wooded paths along the spine of the Pickforton hills. Throughout the walk there are impressive views. With 700 meters of ascent over the duration of the walk it does have several short climbs but nothing too daunting, however you will need to bring a head of heights as various sections of the path are just meters away from significant drops. After leaving the Pickforton ridge we amble over rolling farmland and along quiet country lanes to the village of Burwardsley where there is a possibility of a pub stop at the Pheasant Inn. We then rejoin the Pickforton ridge for some of the most impressive scenery of the route which brings us back to the carparpark. This walk is suitable for dogs, and gaiters should not be necessary. Lunch required.
Walk leader: Stuart 07890 308845
Start Point Map
Points to Remember:
1. Please call the walk leader before the walk in case any
details have changed.
2. Make sure that you are suitably dressed for the weather.
Remember that some walks are on exposed high land and the weather
can be cold and wet. Denim jeans are not suitable for high-level
3. Dogs are welcome but only with the prior agreement of the
4. If the walk leader decides to shorten the walk then that
decision is final and is not open to negotiation. The leader will
only do this when there is a good reason for doing so.
5. Even if a walk does not state packed lunch, it is always
advisable to bring something to eat and drink.
6. If transport is shared, please provide the driver with a
share of the fuel costs.
7. Non RA members are welcome to join us for 3 walks before
being asked to join the RA. There are no exceptions to this.
8. Regrettably, due to the nature of the Sunday programme, we are
unable to accept children on our these walks.
9. Children are welcome on Family Friendly walks.
10. Web site address: www.staffs-walkers.org.uk
11. You are responsible for your own safety at all times.
Click here to return to Staffordshire Walkers
For corrections and updates to this site please email
This site was last updated on 14 February 2017